The History of the SRS-Refinery
The history of the Salzbergen refinery goes back to 1860, when it started with the production of lamp oil. Soon the product range was expanded to oil specialties and lubricants. In 1931 the refinery was taken over by Wintershall/BASF AG and many new production facilities were built. From 1952 onwards the refinery increasingly specialized in lubricants (motor oils, gear oils, industrial oils). To ensure the profitability of the refinery, around 1990 another 300 Million DM were invested in most advanced plant engineering, and capacity was expanded to an impressive 400.000MT/year.
In 1994 the refinery was taken over by the German H&R Group and was renamed SRS - Schmierstoffraffinerie Salzbergen GmbH (“Lubricant Refinery Salzbergen”). They have continued to regularly invest in the refinery's specialization in lubricants and its top-notch technology. Today, as a result, they do not only produce their own brand SRS, but also many major lubricant brands trust them with the blending and bottling of their motor oils and gear oils.
Since 2001 the SRS refinery has operated under the name of H&R ChemPharm and belongs to the H&R WASAG AG, which is listed in the German stock index SDAX. Every year it processes 400.000MT of raw material and converts them into more than 600 - often highly specialized - products.